Old Homespun Linens

A lovely customer sent me these photos of linens she inherited:

the napkin edge

Mona says, “I talked to my mom, (she is 92) about this, and she said that Irène Brochu had a shop in her home, but that the tablecloth was handmade in Gaspé by a woman in the “rangs”, rural roads in the Quebec countryside.  I believe she wove the cloth, and made the edges by drawing out about 1/2 inch of warp or weft and then gathering the remaining threads in bundles. Irene apparently sold these handmade products in her boutique.”

Beautiful, simple drawn-thread-work.

It is wonderful to me that this homespun and hand-loomed cloth looks the same the world over! Thank you so much Mona for sharing.

This entry was posted in Rough Linen. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Old Homespun Linens

1. jen says:

That is a lovely story. Connects your work to history and a different culture.

2. Vicki says:

What beautiful work! The look and feel of old linen – sigh.
    True heirlooms.

like you found of your scottish grandmother’s . . .
    it seems like ‘workmanship’ and the simple arts were once taught to all. my gramma tatted the most beautiful things.
    and when she ‘darned’ a sock it was like it had been woven all over again.
    amazing talent to me. i have two left thumbs.
    i love seeing old treasures like this one.
    just think! some day some one will take one of your classic pieces out and say . . .
    this is a tricia rose.
    yes. they will. it’s all about the workmanship.

and ps . . .
    i’ve already found and read kamo’s ‘an account of my hut.’
    thank you so much. it’s soothing. and just wonderful.
    i found it on the web and have saved it to re-read often.

5. Great photos: I can almost feel their texture.

6. PP says:

There’s something so ‘alive’ about old linen. Mr P inherited an Irish Linen from his great uncle, a brigadier. It’s so beautifully broken in now and I think it’s almost taken this long (about seventy years) for it to really grow into itself. And we bought some old linen sheets in an auction years ago, with embroidered turn-downs (is that what they’re called?). They are full of holes, but we could never throw them away. Perish the thought! I’m not sure what it is about linen, but there’s definitely something.
    P

7. PP says:

Irish linen jacket, was what I meant to say but fell down the hole of my linen lust!

8. Loi Thai says:

It’s really beautiful, even just from photos. Lovely hemstitched border….is that the right term?