Sunday

cracks accepted in a fine old ceiling

I checked some of my favorite blogs this morning while my mind was still soft and open from yoga and it occurred to me that the acceptance of wear in the fabric of a building is  a repudiation of tract house perfection: all the plaster smooth (or worse, textured), every angle square, well chosen landscaping – but the roof is tar-paper, the walls are matchboarding and drywall, and the garden is subsoil with the minimum of bought compost and ubiquitous, dead, tidy mulch.  And all the houses in one development have a sameness, no matter what extraneous trim.

What a blessing the interwebs are then, with candid photos and much more ebb and flow of ideas and opinions than were possible in top-down publishing!  It seems less about selling and posing now, and more about sharing, and value-based sharing at that.

Industrial chic too: function, noble wear, honest materials.  Interesting.

This entry was posted in the meaning of life. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Sunday

1. marylou says:

I have found if you walk in the footprints of others you never make your own… That said, my cottage is a cacophony of animal sounds and holds a plethora of discarded treasures, not inline with the typical fare one would find in our city…. not for everyone’s taste but it suits us fine;-)

2. Dana@Mid2Mod says:

My home was built in 1950 and has its share of imperfections, all earned while sheltering numerous families over the decades. The bumps and cracks make me love it all the more.

3. Gillianne says:

“Noble wear”–ah, yes. So many teens look generically alike; so few faces past mid-life do. It’s the “noble wear” of faces and buildings that lends interest. Very wabi-sabi, a concept I’ve been glad to see spread.

4. jessica says:

tricia rose, when we bought our current home, we fixed it up by priming and painting, etc, but one of the things i loved was that the staircase bannister was worn smooth from hands rubbing it, and the lovely wood floors were not exactly perfect because of the fact that people had “lived” there prior to us and created memories in that house. so i think i understand what you are saying.

5. humbird says:

I wholeheartedly agree.

There’s something about character borne from years of experience, life and living and the associated dents, cracks and ‘wrinkles’ that accompany them.
    Like us, there is a story to tell.

It takes time for houses to develop character. Unfortunately, too many houses today – those built in estates – won’t last long enough…

alas. i am in one of those ‘cookie cutter’ houses in a tract. it was all i could afford.
    i have tried to ‘make it my own.’ but still…
    no wonder i stalk all the wonderful sites of the unusual places people make home.
    i revere old. and different. and artistic.
    and even if blogs are the closest i ever get . . .
    am happy!
    remember when another blogger did a whole series of
    pictures of your cabin on the water? desire to inspire.net
    march 17, 2012 titled ‘at home with … rough linen?’
    i was in heaven!!! finally more than little glimpses of
    your creative rustic place.

hey! i just got back from lunch and voted today.
    it said beside a little box… you then 2 votes.
    that’s not true! i’ve voted way more than 2 times!
    so then i went back to see what would happen if i voted
    again. of course couldn’t . . . which i figured.
    but i sure hope it’s counting right.
    i’m sorry… but i think some of those contenders are putting in a list of their entire customer base! lol.
    oh martha. not saying it’s rigged. but i did vote much
    more than 2 times martha!!!

It tells me I have voted twice every time! (and yes I can vote for myself).

does that mean every time we’ve voted it’s counted twice?
    yayyy! (i’d just never noticed it before i guess.)
    as captain fritter tells me…
    “ok. #1. you need to switch to decaf”

10. I consider things like that to be “patina” and an indication of character. I will never understand the reason everyone wants to build houses that all look the same when there are older homes available with so much more personality. Guess I must be weird that way. Yay!

11. Emelie says:

Beautifully put as ever. I wholeheartedly agree and cannot wait for the day when I – hopefully – will be accepting the cracks in my very own fine old ceiling :)

And congrats on making the cut! (not that I’m surprised) I just put in a vote… Better late than never eh?