Gentleman Jim

I cracked and had him groomed. The grease and filth and dreadlocks were too much for me and I can never get him as beautiful as this when I bathe him myself. This little dog breaks my heart, he is so cheerful and eager and leads such a constrained life. He enjoyed being with other dogs too after so much time alone, when I picked him up he had such a debonair swagger, and a lovely droll gleam in his eye. It may be foolish, but I felt he had his self respect back.

This entry was posted in the meaning of life. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Gentleman Jim

1. stitchfork says:

Swagger and gleam – handsome guy. Bet he smells good too now.
    xo Cathy

i don’t know. i must have missed something!
    i thought you only had a small cat named pansy.
    my heart is smiling at that little guy gentleman jim.
    he is adorable. and that smile of his says pure thankyou.
    if you’ve had him all along… how could you keep him such a secret!
    and if you’ve just rescued him… good on you!!!
    many kitties and dogs become inseparable.
    he couldn’t have a neater home to live in!
    love,
    tammy j

maybe your neighbor will get a clue as to how to take care of a great little guy like that. greasy filth and dreadlocks … not the way.
    i just don’t understand people. if you don’t want a dog and don’t want to take even the basic care of it. give it to someone who does. i’m sorry. neighbor or not. i’d have to turn’em in. even if i did it anonymously.
    the song … bless the beasts and the children. they have no voice. they have no choice.
    it plays in my head when i see something like that.
    thank god for him you’re nearby. at least he has that much.

• Tricia Rose says:

I’m not going to take an old man’s dog from him Tammy – he is relieved to know Buckley will have a home if he goes on one bender too many, but until then I just walk him. He is such a strong little dog, I can see that he is a real problem for someone frail – an ill-considered gift!

• tammy says:

ouch.
        sorry.
        didn’t mean to offend. i am passionate where animals are concerned and i perhaps stepped over the line, not knowing all the details.
        it will no doubt be on my epitaph.
        she didn’t know the details.

4. emelie says:

I was just going to write “what, wait – you have a dog?!” then I read the comments :) Good for you (and him) he looks like the loveliest little part-time companion.

5. Kerry says:

Well now I want to send the little guy some biscuits!

6. Kerry says:

Then give him an extra scratch behind the ear and pat on the rump before your next walk for me!!
    Nothing like a good walk with a dog :-)