Sunrise, Sunset

Time is moving faster and faster, and daylight saving hasn’t helped at all.

I make an effort to witness dawn and sunset: dawn from my cosy bed, and sunset from the breakwater so the glow of the sky is reflected in the water, 360 degrees – actually, more than 360 degrees, what do you call up and down as well as all around? Today the moon was up before the sun had disappeared completely, and everything was watercolour washes melting into each other, yellow to teal, blue then ethereal pink.

I have gone off decor terribly, most rooms look over-wrought to me right now. I fancy a mountain cabin with a woodstove, a sharp axe and a fishing rod. I will sew myself into my long johns and not get out of them until spring. A trunk of books and paper, a clarinet and a bottle of whisky. Visit me when the holiday season is over, because if I catch a glimpse of tinsel I might go troppo.

a break in the rain at the marina - from Dee

This entry was posted in Holidays. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Sunrise, Sunset

1. Kelley says:

love me a full moon too!

Drapery are perfect…FYI!

xo kelley

2. Can I come too, I’ll bring the whiskey! ;)

And that photo is beautiful!

Kat :)

3. Allison says:

Sunsets and sunrises that include water and beautiful clouds cannot be beat. How lucky you are to live surrounded by nature at its finest.

4. Stitchfork says:

Beautiful photo! The rooster across the street still has not adjusted to daylight saving time – so neither have I. xo Cathy
    …who will not breath a word of tinsel to you, can’t have you going all troppo on us!

oh my lordy. have never seen such
    a beautiful picture! it actually breathes.
    i am with you on the cabin. though, aside
    from the mountain views, the rod and the whiskey,
    you have described pretty much the way i live.
    oh yeah, i don’t have a wood burning stove or axe
    either. ok. ok. so i don’t live in anything like
    a cabin. but in my heart i do. and i’m not putting
    up a single christmas trinket this year. maybe a real
    live green wreath with a cheery red ribbon, just so
    i can smell the pine forest when i walk through my
    door.
    love,
    tammy j

6. nathalie carles says:

I love your blog but most of all I simply adooooooooore what you do, linen is one of my favorite fabric (I also like hemp)What you do is fabulous!!!

7. Kerry says:

I completely share your aversion to tinsel and your love of whiskey is replaced by Bundaberg rum in my neck of the woods!

8. I wish Turner could paint that last sky–perfectly beautiful. Don’t ask me where I’ve been, but come say hello.
    Missed You,
    Liz

9. a-m says:

Oh you write so beautifully Tricia. Your mountain cabin sounds divine. I’ll visit and bring my violin. Violin and clarinet… good mix, especially after some whiskey!That photo…. heart-stopping. A-M xx