Home Thoughts from A Broad

I woke to a cool, limpid morning, watered my garden then just soaked up the freshness and peace, bearing in mind that tomorrow we will be in a noisy, dusty factory right on Salt Lake – last time we were there internal temperature in one processing tower was 162 – they take city visitors in there just to test our mettle, I am convinced. I am not good with heat, going clammy as my core temperature rises to ‘broil’. What am I doing in California?! Well may you ask… And what will I be doing in Utah? Working! With a bit of luck we’ll see some spectacular scenery too – wonderful birds, mountains, the strangeness of the Salt Lake very up close.

So, as always, a fervent thanks that we are on the water where there is always some movement of air, some freshness except on the hottest days. We don’t have heating beyond our trusty wood stove, and don’t even need that much – winter evenings and a handful of days. Nor air conditioning, a shocking personal extravagance to my English sensibilities (though we have been known to go to a movie just to be cool).

I have linked up to Sharon at My French Country Home via the lovely Therese , La Dolfina: http://myfrenchcountryhome.blogspot.com/2010/06/living-by-water.html – water lovers are a special breed, and those of us lucky enough to have water views are truly blessed.

All is shipshape and Bristol fashion on the home front, linens washed and folded away after our weekend guests, breakfast has been an eating up of perishables, melon, berries, banana and avocado in the Murwillumbah fashion, where avocado can be fruit. Last night we both worked late, then watched Invictus, a wonderful movie, inspiring, and well done, so we are now rested and ready for our first adventure of a busy summer.

6 Responses to Home Thoughts from A Broad

1. Maya says:

I'd love to be off the grit all together! And Utah is interesting. The mountains spectacular, the Lake fascinating, Salt Lake City a bit strange. Enjoy!

2. Marie says:

Oh my! You look so peaceful and relaxed in that picture…a beautiful location! Thanks for stopping by yesterday and leaving a sweet comment! Enjoy Utah.
    -marie

3. Emelie - C'est LA vie says:

Lovely post. And I'm with you on the heat – must be a British thing…:)

Hope your trip goes well, stay cool! x

4. sharon says:

Hi Tricia, Thank you for joining up to my water view party, love your header picture of you sewing in front of your water view.
    sounds like you're going to have a great trip.
    Sharon

5. Tricia says:

I popped on over to visit your blog after reading the comment you left for me. I enjoyed the peek into your life and look forward to following your activities and commentary. Tricia

6. Struggler says:

I must check out the other living-on-the-water post; we count ourselves incredibly lucky to enjoy a bit of salt water at the end of our garden (we are in San Mateo county whereas I think you are Marin?).
    And I agree, coming from Britain, air conditioning is an unthinkable thing. We spend so long there longing for summer, that when it comes, suffering is part of the fun! But like you, we rarely get days when it's unbearable here.